top of page

Business Fire Inspections

All businesses in Marysville are required to meet, and be inspected annually for, fire and life safety requirements adopted by the State of California and City of Marysville. All state-regulated buildings--schools, adult care facilities, child care facilities, apartments and hotels--are also inspected annually.


New businesses pay a fire inspection fee when they obtain their business license from the City. At the time of opening, businesses are to set up an initial inspection with the fire department. This inspection is to help prevent fires in the first place, and to ensure that the operation of the business and the building housing it will be safe for employees, patrons and fire department personnel in the unfortunate event of a life safety emergency.


After the initial inspection and completion of all needed repairs, each business will be placed on an annual inspection cycle. We encourage all businesses to review the Self-Inspection Form, downloadable at right. It contains general information on what the fire department requires from businesses in order to comply with life safety standards.

Other Information Your Business May Need to Know

Depending on type of business and the operations being conducted on-site, some of the following will be useful for you to be aware of:

  • Operational Permits

    Operational Permits are required by the state fire marshal for all operations that increase risk for residents and workers. A list of the types of permits required and the associated fees is in the current fee schedule

  • Plans Review

    Plans must be submitted to both the fire department and the building department for new construction or modifications that increase space over 3,000 or change the building use. Plans will normally be reviewed within 15 days if they do not have to be evaluated by an outside contractor. See the current fee schedule for specific costs for your project

  • Hazardous Materials Storage

    Marysville Fire Department coordinates hazardous materials inspections with Yuba County’s Office of Environmental Health. Each business using hazardous materials must file a Hazardous Materials Business Plan with Yuba County. For current requirements, please consult the latest edition of the California Fire Code. If you wish to discuss your specific situation, please contact Yuba County Environmental Health/CUPA at (530)749-5450. [Go to the CUPA website]

  • Pre-Fire Plans

    Some facilities are required by the fire code to provide the fire department a pre-fire plan to assist us in mitigating emergencies at your business. These plans help us develop strategies to ensure your employees are evacuated quickly and your business will be able to reopen with minimal delay if you have an incident. Please contact our office at 741-6622 so we can provide the information to include in your plan.​

Related Forms & Documents:

bottom of page